Bondfield Close, Barnsley, South Yorkshire S73 8TX

01226 272740


The school has adopted the local authority’s policy for admissions and applications for places at Kings Oak Primary School will be made in accordance with the ‘Coordinated Admission Arrangements’ which forms part of the Local Authority’s (LA) published admission arrangements.  

If you would like to apply for a place at Kings Oak Primary Learning Centre please contact Barnsley Council School Admissions on 01226 773677

or you can click on this link:  Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council School Admissions.



Children whose fifth birthday falls between 1 September and 31 August are admitted to Reception at the beginning of the Autumn term (September) of that academic year, usually on a full-time basis.  You can download an application from the BMBC website, apply online or contact school admissions. If you need help with applying for a place in the school, our Parent Support Advisor, Julie Beever, can help you.  Please see our Parent Support page for more information.

Please click on this link for more information: Barnsley Borough Council Schools & Learning

Please note attending nursery at Kings Oak Primary Learning Centre does not give a child preferential treatment or an automatic place in Reception.


However, the School Admissions Code makes provision for all children to be admitted to school in the September following their fourth birthday. You will be offered a full-time place from September although parents will be able to access this entitlement through one of the following options.


Under rules issued by the Government, parents have the right to apply for a place at any school in Barnsley or surrounding district regardless of their address.

To enable us to plan effectively for a child’s education it would be helpful if parents of pre-school children, who would like a place at our school, could register their child’s name with the LA at the appropriate time. Application forms can be found in the Authority’s Handbook, which will be distributed from the School or copies can be collected from the Education Department.

 If the number of applications at the school exceeds the number of places available, the following criteria are used by the Local Authority to allocate places:


  1. First, Children in Public Care
  2. Second, children who have a statement of special educational needs
  3. Third, children with brothers and/or sisters attending the school are considered first.
  4. Lastly, the distance between the child’s normal place of residence and the school is measured in a straight line on the map; the closest addresses gain places until the school is full.

Key Stage 1 class size is an issue of which parents should be aware; full information is in the LA admissions booklet. A copy of which is available from the LA Admissions Section on Barnsley 773689.


When the school is full, applications may be refused, although it should be stressed that in such cases parents do have the right to appeal via the Education Committee to an independent Appeals tribunal. In the absence of an appeal, parents will be expected to approach another school with an admission request.


All decisions regarding the admission of children to school rest with the Local Authority. The school can not give an opinion of the likelihood of a particular child being admitted.


School Organisation

Normally, children will be placed in classes according to their ability and/or chronological age. However, situations may develop when it would be impossible or even undesirable for a child to be placed in a certain class.  The placement of any child in a particular class is at the discretion of the Headteacher.


If you can avoid transferring your child to another school mid-year it’s best to do so, as transferring schools can be very disruptive to their education.


What to do if you want to transfer your child from one  school to another school

If you can avoid transferring your child to another school mid-year it’s best to do so, as transferring schools can be very disruptive to their education.

If you're moving house, fill in a transfer form which you can obtain from BMBC or your local school and return it to School Admissions, PO Box 634, Barnsley S70 9GG.

If you're not moving house, but your child is having difficulties at school and you’re thinking about transferring them to another school, please talk to someone at your child's school first to see if you can resolve the problem another way.

If having spoken to your child’s school, you still want to transfer your child, fill in a transfer form, which you can get from your child's school, and return it to School Admissions, PO Box 634, Barnsley S70 9GG.

If you want to apply for a transfer to a school outside Barnsley, contact the council where the school is located.


When we receive your application to transfer

Applications to transfer must be sent to Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council who will write to you, usually within three school weeks, to let you know whether or not your transfer request has been successful.

BMBC can refuse your application if transferring your child would have a detrimental impact on the education of children already at the school where you'd like your child to go.  For example, if admission numbers for your child's year group have already reached their limit, adding another child would have a negative impact on the education provided.

If BMBC refuses your transfer request, you can make an appeal.

If you don’t want to accept the place we offer, you must tell School Admissions in writing within 10 working days of receiving your offer.



Applying for a school place outside of Barnsley

If you wish to apply for a school place in Doncaster, Kirklees, Rotherham, Sheffield or Wakefield, contact the Admissions Teams below.

Town Admissions address Email/Telephone
Admissions, Attendance & Pupil Welfare Service
Floor 3
Civic Office, Waterdale, 
Doncaster DN1 3BU
01302 737204 or 01302 737234
Pupil Admissions
Kirkgate Buildings, Byram Street, 
Huddersfield HD1 1BY
School Admissions Team
Children and Young People's Services, Riverside House,
Wing C, First Floor, Main Street,
Rotherham S60 1AE
Pupil Admissions
Floor 5, North Wing, Moorfoot,
Sheffield S1 4PL
0114 2735790 or 0114 2735766
School Admissions
Wakefield Council, Wakefield One,
PO Box 700, Burton Street, 
Wakefield WF1 2EB