YEAR 3 - HOME LEARNING
Hello Year 3!
Here is a list of activities and skills that we would love you to practise as much as possible while you are learning at home (you might’ve heard us mention these once or twice at school!).
Reading – please read as much as you can. Read to your grown up, to your brother or sister, to your pet or just to yourself. You can read absolutely anything at all – a story, a magazine, a website, a football programme, a fact book etc. There are lots of free online books that companies are making available while schools are closed too.
Spellings – practise reading and spelling the 100 Common Exception Words for Year 3 and 4 (or the Common Exception Words for Year 1 and 2). They are in the middle of your ‘Reading Record’ but you will also find them online. Can you use them in a sentence? Do you know the meaning of the word? How many vowels and consonants are there in each word? Can you add any prefixes or suffixes? Can you think of any words which mean the same as the word?
Times tables – everyone will have their TT Rockstars username and password. Just a few minutes every day on this will make a big difference. We recommend you stay in the ‘Garage’ unless you are confident with most times tables. The ones we need to learn by the end of Year 3 are : 2x , 3x, 4x, 5x, 8x and 10x. If you know the others already too that is super fantastic! Hit the Button is also an awesome game for practising your times tables.
You can use your TT Rockstars username and password to access Numbots on the internet. The aim is to practise addition and subtraction facts. It starts off very easy but will gradually become harder as you work through the levels. Give it a go and let us know how you get on!
Have you tried the Joe Wicks workouts that are on YouTube? What a great way to start your day – it will leave you feeling really energised and ready to get cracking! If you fancy something a little more relaxed why not have a look at ‘Cosmic Kids Yoga’ which is also on YouTube. You can choose from lots of different yoga ‘adventures.’ Mrs. Beck’s favourite so far is the Pokémon one!
Keep checking back on this page for new activities to try.
Stay safe everyone.
Mrs. Beck, Mrs.Oldknow and Mrs.Bowden xxx
Here is your list of of activities to keep you busy while you're stuck at home.
MATHS: We would like you to use the White Rose Maths website every day to keep on top of your maths work. This week the Maths activities are the same for both groups. Just in case you find the Year 3 work a little tricky we have also uploaded the Year 2 work as well. You can also look at the BBC Bite Size web pages and The Oak Academy for lots of topic and Literacy ideas.
LITERACY: We want you to take part in a mini topic at home with writing and creative activities around the theme of 'Seaside and Holidays'.
Here are some activities you could try:
- Watch 'The Lighthouse Keepers Lunch' on Youtube. You could try writing a new adventure for Mr. Grinling or invent a way of keeping the fisherman's lunch safe from those pesky seagulls!
- Research lighthouses around the UK - can you find out the tallest, the oldest, any still working?
- Create a beautiful sketch of a coastline, including a lighthouse. There are some gorgeous images online to look at.
- Write instructions on 'How to make an ice cream sundae' and then try and follow your recipe and make the real thing. Enjoy eating it afterwards.
- Make a collage of your ice cream sundae from different coloured paper and any other bits and bobs you might have at home.
- Research different seaside resorts in England. You could plot them on a map and then work out how far away they are from your house using Google Maps. Google Earth is also a fabulous tool for looking at all sorts of different places.
- Create a factfile on your favourite seaside resort - will it be Scarborough? Skegness? Filey? Or somewhere different?
- Design a poster to persuade people to visit your seaside resort.
- Compare Wombwell to your chosen seaside resort - what is the same and what is different?
https://mathsframe.co.uk/en/resources/resource/318/Tommys-Trek-Times-Tables This is a fabulous game you could continue to use over the summer holidays so you keep up with your times tables. Remember - you can also log onto TT Rockstars too.
Please send us your work to email@example.com. We would love to see how you are getting. We can give you feedback, offer encouragement and help you with anything that you don't understand.
MRS.BECK'S SUPER SPELLING AND WRITING TIPS
|SPELLING ACTIVITY 1.docx||Download|